Search & Rescue Education
Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your group's need or request a presentation. NJSAR offers programs to groups schools, PTAs, scout meetings and awards dinners, libraries, and others.
Description of a typical presentation
Handout for adults
Handout for children
Groups to whom we have given presentations
A typical presentation covers:
Staying safe to prevent the need for a search
1. What to do when someone else gets lost
2. How to prepare to help
3. What to take with you
4. What to do when you are lost
We show a video by the National Park Rangers and give several fun demonstrations while covering the survival kit and rules from the Search and Rescue Society of British Columbia. Typically our presentation takes about one hour, although we can take more or less time depending on your needs. Children and adults receive different handouts about the program.
We are often asked, so I'll mention there is no charge for our presentation. Everyone in New Jersey Search and Rescue is a volunteer. Our tax-exempt organization always welcomes donations to help offset costs - see http://www.njsar.org. We appreciate the opportunity to share information with children and as many of their parents and other adults as possible.
The Survival Kit:
1. Large Garbage Bag, contractor thickness
3. Signal Flag
The Lost in the Woods 9 Rules for Survival:
1. Stay Together If You are With Another Person or a Pet
2. Stay in One Place
3. Keep Warm
4. Find a Cozy Waiting Place, Not a Hiding Place
5. Put Out Something Bright
6. Look Bigger for Searchers
7. Make a Nest to Lie Down
8. Eat Only What You Brought with You
9. Stay Away from Large Rivers and Lakes
(The above kit and rules are from http://sarbc.org/sarbc/litw.html.)
If needed for an exhibit, we can set up a poster display of information in the presentation. We use ten 2'x3' color posters and can give demonstrations.
Examples of groups given PSAR presentations:
- Communities: Caldwell Camp, Fire Department: Hawthorne, Hampton Summer Recreation, Ringwood-"Safety Town,” Sparta Safety Village
- Expos: Bergen County Expo, 2007 Scout Show at Liberty State Park, BSA Northern NJ Council, Pet Expo at Long Island
- Libraries: Bordentown, Caldwell, Florham Park, Kenilworth, Madison, Middletown, Montclair, Mt. Olive, Newark Branch Brook Branch, Randolph Township, Roseland, Vernon, Watchung, West Milford
- Schools: Baldwin NY Elementary, Belleville Public #3, Bogota-St. Joseph School, Clinton, Gladstone-The Great Outdoors at Gill St. Bernard's School, Hewitt-Our Lady Queen of Peace Pre-K, Lenape Meadow Elementary, Riverdale Public Elementary and PTA
- Scouts, Boy & Cub: Basking Ridge-Troop 54 Mother-Son Dinner, Bloomfield-Troop 23 and Pack 23, Butler-Pack 101 44th Annual Blue and Gold Dinner, Caldwell-Broken Arrow District BSA, Camp Glen Gray 90th Anniversary, Cedar Grove-Troop 65, Chatham-Troop 8, Closter, Cub Scout Weekend-Camp Glen Gray, Essex Fells-Dens 2 & 3 Troop 321, Fairlawn-Pack 45, Hillsdale-Pack 81, Jamboree, Mahwah-Pack 197 & Troop 50, Monroe-Pack 3, Ogdensburg-Pack 89 Blue & Gold Dinner, Pompton Plains-Patriot Path Pack 144, Ridgefield-Pack 96, Sterling Forest, Totowa-Pack 26, Vernon, Verona-Pack 32, Waldwick-Packs 88 and 308, Wawayanda, Wayne-Packs 108 and 130, West Caldwell-Troop 9, West Orange-Troop 6 and Pack 107, Willingboro-Troop 86, Wycoff-Pack 309
- Scouts, Girl & Brownie: Basking Ridge-Troop 814, Camden County, Chesterfield-Brownie Troop, Madison-Brownies, Manalapan-Troop1212
- Other: Appalachian Trail Conservancy 36th Biennial Conference, Civil Air Patrol, Gilda’s Club, Gingerbread Kids Academy, High Point State Park Fishing Derby, NJSAR Open House at Ramapo Valley County Reservation, Smith Point K9 SAR with National Guard, Temple Israel, The Little Gym of Toms River.
Additional Hug-A-Tree Presenter Support is at http://www.nasar.org/nasar/presenter_support.php.
Lost and Found - Irish Mountain Log: NJSAR member Katya Hanson explains how adults and children can be taught to keep themselves safe in the outdoors.
Back to Home Page